Agony of Indecision!

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Agony of Indecision!

Postby rubhadubh » December 22nd, 2012, 6:47 am

Please help me out here... I can only afford to buy one wheel at a time, and there's no guarantee that if I buy one, I'll have the money to buy another any time soon. I have Mavic Ksyrium Equipes on my Cervelo P2 for training and racing hills/wind, and am looking to add a pure triathlon race wheel setup, mostly for longer distance races.

So, which wheels, and in what order, would you recommend? I'm a reasonably strong cyclist, so I'm leaning towards a 90mm front, or do I play safe at 60mm? If I bought the front first, I could probably stretch to a wheel cover for my ksyrium rear and have a usable race setup.

If my next wheel purchase was a 90mm rear, the wheel cover then gives me a full range of options, until some mythical point in the future when I add a dedicated disk.

That's logical enough when I write it down, but it 'feels' wrong to buy a front wheel first! And is the wheel cover going to be too much of a pain. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a rear wheel for racing, and leave the ksyriums for training on?
rubhadubh

Re: Agony of Indecision!

Postby cyberjunkie21 » December 22nd, 2012, 7:21 pm

Front wheel first is most important, gotta cut through the air! I'd go with the 60 front, then try to get a 60/90 rear with cover or disk rear.
cyberjunkie21

Postby rubhadubh » December 23rd, 2012, 7:11 pm

Interesting that you say front first - most folks seem to go for an aero back wheel first? Makes sense though... thanks for your input.
rubhadubh

Postby Chris Thornham » December 23rd, 2012, 8:20 pm

Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling:
FLO Blog: | Twitter: | Facebook:
Chris Thornham
Site Admin

Postby rubhadubh » December 23rd, 2012, 9:01 pm

Thanks Chris, I averaged around 36kph / 23mph for longer distance races this year and should be a bit quicker in 2013 :-) Sort of puts me on the borderline for a bigger front - 60 is probably the safer bet though.
rubhadubh

Postby Chris Thornham » December 24th, 2012, 11:03 am

Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling:
FLO Blog: | Twitter: | Facebook:
Chris Thornham
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion