Yaw angles and slower riders

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Yaw angles and slower riders

Postby bsorkin » March 16th, 2017, 11:19 am

Hey Flo Guys,

I've read virtually everything on your website and forum. It's incredibly helpful and impressive. But I've still got a couple questions about what's best for someone in my situation.

By any serious-cyclist standards, I'm a slower rider--15 - 18 MPH. I don't compete or race. But I do want to get a wheelset that gives me the most benefit.

I've read all your research on yaw angles, but wondered how the equation changes for slower riders. I'm not sure what speed you did most of your riding at when you were measuring yaw on your data logger, but it seems to me that the slower one rides, the greater the yaw would be. That said, if I'm reading your graphs right, the Flo 60s and 45s perform similarly at low yaw, but the 60s really start to shine at higher yaw angles. Does that suggest that going to the 60s would offer a greater aero benefit for slower riders than it would faster riders? That conclusion seems to run counter to all the conventional wisdom that says that aero benefits you more at faster speeds. Am I getting all of this wrong?

Also, I ride a Trek Domane 5.2...a great bike, but not a particularly aero one. In fact, it's a pretty relaxed riding position. So my second question is: are the aero benefits of a wheel set diminished by a non-aero bike and riding position or are they independent?

Thanks,
Barry
bsorkin

Re: Yaw angles and slower riders

Postby Chris Thornham » March 18th, 2017, 11:01 am

Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling:
FLO Blog: | Twitter: | Facebook:
Chris Thornham
Site Admin

Re: Yaw angles and slower riders

Postby AlathIN » March 19th, 2017, 11:44 am