Headphones choice for biking

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Headphones choice for biking

Postby XtraCheese » July 15th, 2014, 3:13 pm

Starting to get into long (for me) distance rides these days, and my current running headphones are a little too fidgety, i.e. I wouldn't want to have to spend any effort or concentration to adjust them while riding. Curious as to what you guys ride with when you do so...seems that Bluetooth is probably the best route for a cycling setup, but I'm totally open. Thanks for your input.
XtraCheese

Re: Headphones choice for biking

Postby XtraCheese » July 16th, 2014, 9:14 am

Meant to add that I realize wearing headphones while biking is generally unsafe...I bike almost exclusively on bike paths around my hometown. No amount of good tunes are worth my life or someone else's.
XtraCheese

Postby aravilare » July 16th, 2014, 11:23 am

I ride with a single earbud in one ear during my commute. I strongly recommend you not get any in-ear earbuds or headphones for riding, and go with a cheap set of earbuds that you can just toss if they get corroded by your sweat, and will not block sounds from your environment.
aravilare

Postby PsychoMike » July 21st, 2014, 2:35 pm

O-tus Safe Sounds are an alternative that I like.

They have about earbud sized speakers you mount to your helmet. I run mine via an iPod shuffle mounted to my helmet. I can still hear everything around me (I don't blast the tunes THAT loud), but I still get my tunes to help hammer out the long miles in training. Plus, if I am riding with others, they don't have to listen to my music selection :)
PsychoMike

Postby XtraCheese » July 31st, 2014, 11:48 am

PsychoMike wrote:O-tus Safe Sounds are an alternative that I like.

They have about earbud sized speakers you mount to your helmet. I run mine via an iPod shuffle mounted to my helmet. I can still hear everything around me (I don't blast the tunes THAT loud), but I still get my tunes to help hammer out the long miles in training. Plus, if I am riding with others, they don't have to listen to my music selection :)

Thanks for that Mike...never heard of them. (to you as well, Aravilare) I will check them out. How do you secure the iPod over long distances?
XtraCheese

Postby PsychoMike » July 31st, 2014, 12:05 pm

XtraCheese wrote:Thanks for that Mike...never heard of them. (to you as well, Aravilare) I will check them out. How do you secure the iPod over long distances?

O-tus provides some 3M "mushroom" style tape (think Velcro, but with the stronger plastic mushrooms on both sides instead of hooks and loops). The speakers / buds mount at the ear cut-outs and I put my shuffle right on the back of my helmet, all on this same stuff. It holds them in place extremely well, but they are still removable without causing any damage to the helmet.
PsychoMike

Postby adrian » August 18th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Headphones are generally unsafe. How about speakers? Like you, I wanted to bring my music on our long rides. Im currently using JBL charge: bluetooth, long life (5+ hours at max volume), doubles as a powerbank and fits the water bottle cage. It's also fairly loud even on busy roads. Pop-in a 180bpm podrunner mix and it's a very very good mood settter.

adrian

Postby XtraCheese » August 20th, 2014, 6:29 am

interesting...i sure need my water bottles though, heh. Thanks, will look into that.
XtraCheese

Postby PsychoMike » August 20th, 2014, 3:07 pm

The Otus are oversized earbuds / small speakers that mount on the helmet. So far, they continue to be the best I've found for tunes without "sharing" my music with everyone around me and still hearing ambient sounds.
PsychoMike

Postby adrian » August 29th, 2014, 1:04 am

XtraCheese wrote:interesting...i sure need my water bottles though, heh. Thanks, will look into that.

Had it setup like this during an epic 2-day 300km ride round an island here in the Philippines. We were a group of 10 having a big bike ride for a 70.3 and they were very very happy to share with the music, fairly loud even with strong headwinds (monsoon season here). I did install two water bottles at my saddle because the frame bottle had my clothes. :-)
adrian

Return to General Discussion