Hub and bearing servicing

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Re: Hub and bearing servicing

Postby edrusk » September 24th, 2013, 9:22 am

what ever happened with this, Ed Stanley? I have this same problem with my rear FLO 90 and i've isolated it to the wheels. I've cleaned the spokes as well. other friends have the same wheels and don't experience this. I'm not a huge guy (180lbs) so I wouldn't think my weight would play an issue. I had cleaned the spokes previously and dropped a little oil between each spoke where they cross. I thought that did the trick, but the noise came back in the middle of my ironman ride after dropping in the oil pre-race. I hate to think i'd have to keep putting oil between the spokes. My local bike shop seems to think it's the free hub that's the real problem, not the spokes. Not sure why it seemingly went away (though it was a windy day and i may have not heard it properly). Regardless, it's frustrating. They're such nice wheels but the clicking is annoying and embarrassing. I'm even thinking the spoke tension could be the issue - as the non-drive side spokes seem to be more loose than the drive side. That could be perfectly normal, though.
edrusk

Postby Ed Stanley » September 24th, 2013, 10:59 am

I only sent Flo the video yesterday evening so I'm sure I'll get a response soon. I imagine they're rather busy with the pre-order though!

We've got <goes off to count> four sets of flo wheels between the two of us and are about to buy a fifth and I'd emphasise we've only had this issue with one hub. It also doesnt seem to affect the wheel in any way other than the noise so I'm not too worried. My better-half binned a big race because of the noise (taking an alpine descent on a wheel you don't have faith in is a bad idea!) but it's not shown any sign of actually degrading, locking up etc since then. That hasn't stopped her pinching my 90 though!

In terms of the spokes, I'll defer to Jon and Chris but having NDS spokes slacker than the drive side ones is, as I understand it, fairly standard as they take a very different load. I've not got my Flos here but my Campag wheels are certainly built like that.
Ed Stanley

Postby edrusk » September 24th, 2013, 11:05 am

good feedback, Ed. thanks. I'm not a very good wrench so the NDS vs DS spoke issue is something i know nothing about. I rely on my LBS for my mechanic duties. that helps me to justify occasionally buying things on the internet vs through them if I send them my mechanic work. When I took my bike to them this morning, after putting a standard wheel on last night and seeing the noise was gone, they did the same thing in the shop w a different wheel. noise was gone. That tells me it's isolated to the wheel and not the BB or pedals.
Good to hear that your other FLO wheels are good as gold - as I would suspect. The guys make some pretty good wheels and I love riding mine, have lots of confidence in them, but hate the clicking noise.
edrusk

Postby Chris Thornham » September 24th, 2013, 1:28 pm

edrusk wrote:what ever happened with this, Ed Stanley? I have this same problem with my rear FLO 90 and i've isolated it to the wheels. I've cleaned the spokes as well. other friends have the same wheels and don't experience this. I'm not a huge guy (180lbs) so I wouldn't think my weight would play an issue. I had cleaned the spokes previously and dropped a little oil between each spoke where they cross. I thought that did the trick, but the noise came back in the middle of my ironman ride after dropping in the oil pre-race. I hate to think i'd have to keep putting oil between the spokes. My local bike shop seems to think it's the free hub that's the real problem, not the spokes. Not sure why it seemingly went away (though it was a windy day and i may have not heard it properly). Regardless, it's frustrating. They're such nice wheels but the clicking is annoying and embarrassing. I'm even thinking the spoke tension could be the issue - as the non-drive side spokes seem to be more loose than the drive side. That could be perfectly normal, though.

Ed,

Are you saying the noise stops when you lubricate the spokes?
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion