Recomended Tubes and Tires

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » December 28th, 2012, 9:48 am

You are very welcome! Glad you have enjoyed riding the wheels.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby adrian » February 25th, 2013, 2:20 am

Just to continue this thread, (in anticipation of a 60/90 set), how does the michelin pro4 compare with gp4000s in terms of mounting/dismounting the tire?

I did try some Kenda tires (on a separate rim) and it was so hard to get in. Switched to Schwalbes and theyre much better, could even mount them without tools.
adrian
 
Posts: 14
Joined: February 11th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » February 25th, 2013, 9:41 am

I'm about 99% sure that the gp4000s are really tough to get on. I've never owned a set but I'm certain I've heard they are not easy to get on.

I hope that helps.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby adrian » February 25th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It appears I'll stay with Schwalbe (Ultremo ZX) then. I cant imagine trying to wrestle some tough tires in the middle of a race with tired legs and arms. It negates the convenience of having the clincher in the first place. :-)

Though if I can find the pro4, I will certainly try them. It seems Amazon's price is also very good.
adrian
 
Posts: 14
Joined: February 11th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » February 25th, 2013, 10:04 pm

I need tools with my Pro 4's so if you are looking for "tool-less" installation, I'd stick with the Schwables.

Take care,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Timtek » March 3rd, 2013, 6:49 pm

Chris Thornham wrote:FLO 60s require about 80mm of total valve length and FLO 90s require about 110mm of total valve length. Find an extender that give you the above lengths and you'll be good to go.


For the sake of simplicity can you recommend a [race] tube that fits the Pro4 that has an 80mm stem Chris?

Chris Thornham wrote:We designed our wheels using 23mm tires so that is our first suggestion. Michelin Pro Race 3 or 4 (service course version) to be exact. Out of curiosity, what frame are you using? I'm asking because very few frames work better with thinner tires.


Can you explain this more in detail? I have a Trek Equinox E9 and planned to run a Flo 60 front with 23mm Pro4 (Comp) and a disc cover in the rear.
Timtek
 
Posts: 4
Joined: March 3rd, 2013, 5:21 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » March 3rd, 2013, 7:08 pm

Timtek wrote:
Chris Thornham wrote:FLO 60s require about 80mm of total valve length and FLO 90s require about 110mm of total valve length. Find an extender that give you the above lengths and you'll be good to go.


For the sake of simplicity can you recommend a [race] tube that fits the Pro4 that has an 80mm stem Chris?

By race tube I'm guessing that you mean latex? If so I don't know of any latex tubes with an 80mm valve. All you'll have to do is make sure your tube valve length and your valve extender add up to between 80mm and 90mm. For example... a 50mm valve and a 30mm extender. Does that make sense?

Chris Thornham wrote:We designed our wheels using 23mm tires so that is our first suggestion. Michelin Pro Race 3 or 4 (service course version) to be exact. Out of curiosity, what frame are you using? I'm asking because very few frames work better with thinner tires.


Can you explain this more in detail? I have a Trek Equinox E9 and planned to run a Flo 60 front with 23mm Pro4 (Comp) and a disc cover in the rear.

Your Trek Equinox should be fine. The frame I was referring to was the blue triad. A 22mm rear tire works better than a 23mm tire on that frame.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Steve777 » March 3rd, 2013, 10:20 pm

I await delivery of a front Flo 60 & rear Flo 90 :-) and since this is my first set of aero wheels, been reading this post on recommended tubes / extenders, I typically carry two spare tubes, would it be okay to have both of them set up for the rear Flo 90 ?, and if a flat occurred on the front Flo 60 assume it would be okay to use on that wheel with the extra valve length ? or would this unbalance the wheel too much ?
Appreciate any advice, looking forward to receiving my new wheels...
Steve777
 
Posts: 5
Joined: March 3rd, 2013, 10:11 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » March 4th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Steve777 wrote:I await delivery of a front Flo 60 & rear Flo 90 :-) and since this is my first set of aero wheels, been reading this post on recommended tubes / extenders, I typically carry two spare tubes, would it be okay to have both of them set up for the rear Flo 90 ?, and if a flat occurred on the front Flo 60 assume it would be okay to use on that wheel with the extra valve length ? or would this unbalance the wheel too much ?
Appreciate any advice, looking forward to receiving my new wheels...


Steve777,

You shouldn't have any issues with the extra valve length unbalancing the wheel but I'd suggest you carry one tube that works for both wheels. I wanted to limit the number of tubes I had to carry as well and decided on the following set up...

Tubes: http://www.michelinbicycletire.com/michelinbicycle/index.cfm?event=Airstop.view

In this size... 700X18-23C / A1 / 52mm presta valve / 98g

Extenders: http://www.amazon.com/Sram-WE-Valve-24-SRAM-Valve-Extension/dp/B003WOQ974

In a 48mm for the FLO 60s and a 74 for the FLO 90s.


This way, you simply swap your extender to the new tube if you flat on either wheel and you're right back on the road.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Ironmanpan » March 7th, 2013, 10:57 pm

I've got a 60/90 combo using 80mm valve stems and a Sram external extender for the rear. Is there a better way to get a reading for air pressure on the rear? If I used removable valve cores with an internal extender would I be able to get pressure readings?
Ironmanpan
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 27th, 2013, 4:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest