Recomended Tubes and Tires

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » April 9th, 2017, 11:30 am

SliceRS wrote:I'm curious if your recommendation on tire size 23 vs 25 has changed in light of the study:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2016/06/ ... study.html


We still recommend the 23c size wheel as a general rule because it will fit on almost any frame. The 25c tires are too wide for a number of frames so we don't like to recommend them as a general rule because of that. If you know that the 25c tire will fit on your bike without any interference, then it will be slightly faster and I do recommend using it.

I hope that helps,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » April 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Burnnerman wrote:For tubeless tires.

I have been using the new Bontrager R3 Tubless tires (Model 508443) the size I am using is 700x26c they also make a 700x24c.

They worked great all last year, and I plan on using them this year also.


Thanks for the input!
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby jlisk » April 9th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Hey guys - I just purchased my first set of Flo Wheels on this most recent order, and trying to pick out the tubes. I ordered a front 60 and rear 90. I see you recommend running a 48mm valve length, and reference Continental as offering this - looks like they don't offer this length anymore though, instead the standard sizes are 42mm, 60mm, and 80mm? Will the 42mm be OK with the valve extenders you guys are providing? I couldn't find the actual length of extenders you are including the the 60 and 90 rims.

Thanks!
jlisk
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » April 10th, 2017, 9:54 am

jlisk wrote:Hey guys - I just purchased my first set of Flo Wheels on this most recent order, and trying to pick out the tubes. I ordered a front 60 and rear 90. I see you recommend running a 48mm valve length, and reference Continental as offering this - looks like they don't offer this length anymore though, instead the standard sizes are 42mm, 60mm, and 80mm? Will the 42mm be OK with the valve extenders you guys are providing? I couldn't find the actual length of extenders you are including the the 60 and 90 rims.

Thanks!


Thanks for letting me know this. I'd try another 48mm tube. Specialized, Bontrager, and many other brands offer 48mm tubes.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby jlisk » April 10th, 2017, 10:42 am

Thanks for the help!
jlisk
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby SteveM » May 29th, 2017, 3:00 am

If anyone with a recent Cervelo S2 or S3 is wondering what fits, you can get a 25mm on the rear no problem.

Also if you want a very puncture resistant day to day training tyre I've found the Maxxis Refuse 23mm to be good, similar profile to the GP4000S, though can be a tight fit.

Steve
SteveM
 
Posts: 8
Joined: May 27th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » May 29th, 2017, 11:18 am

SteveM wrote:If anyone with a recent Cervelo S2 or S3 is wondering what fits, you can get a 25mm on the rear no problem.

Also if you want a very puncture resistant day to day training tyre I've found the Maxxis Refuse 23mm to be good, similar profile to the GP4000S, though can be a tight fit.

Steve


Thanks for the information Steve! This is good feedback.

Have a great day,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby DvR » June 11th, 2017, 6:59 am

I have the latest Flo 60 carbon fitted to a 2014 Giant Propel. To get the rear brake pads to properly align below the yellow line on the rim, either the rear brake calipers need to be modifed or replaced to enable the pads to sit lower, or brake pads need to be trimmed. front is fine.

Went for a first ride in gusty cross wind conditions and was happy to notice the stability. Some sideways thrust, but no flutter.

I accidently bought a continental Force tire in 25mm width and can confirm it just fits this frame on these rims.

However from an aerodynamic perspective these end up possibly too wide, relative to the widest part of the rim: Measured the following widths: at 70 psi, 27.9-28.2mm;@80psi, 28.1-28.2mm;@95psi, 28.2-28.5mm. This is on the back wheel. Yes tire width varies along the circumference.
Interestingly, the Force appears to be available in 24 and 25 mm, but is listed on the Continental website only as a 25mm. Perhaps running at 70-80psi in this case will minimise the aerodynamic negative effect while minimising suspension losses (see write up about this here https://silca.cc/blogs/journal) without affecting rolling resistance too much. I plan experiment a bit with the back wheel pressure, but expect I cannot reduce it enough to make a difference. Same with the 23c conti gp 4000s II front tire. Running that at 80 psi right now. For reference My bike n rider system, fully kitted with two water bottles, saddle bag, computer and me in cycling clothes totals 80kg or 176lbs. Roads here in SW FL are usually very smooth, with a very fine aggregate. Not that much chipseal.

Hope folks find this useful
DvR
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 17th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » June 11th, 2017, 10:10 am

DvR wrote:I have the latest Flo 60 carbon fitted to a 2014 Giant Propel. To get the rear brake pads to properly align below the yellow line on the rim, either the rear brake calipers need to be modifed or replaced to enable the pads to sit lower, or brake pads need to be trimmed. front is fine.

Went for a first ride in gusty cross wind conditions and was happy to notice the stability. Some sideways thrust, but no flutter.

I accidently bought a continental Force tire in 25mm width and can confirm it just fits this frame on these rims.

However from an aerodynamic perspective these end up possibly too wide, relative to the widest part of the rim: Measured the following widths: at 70 psi, 27.9-28.2mm;@80psi, 28.1-28.2mm;@95psi, 28.2-28.5mm. This is on the back wheel. Yes tire width varies along the circumference.
Interestingly, the Force appears to be available in 24 and 25 mm, but is listed on the Continental website only as a 25mm. Perhaps running at 70-80psi in this case will minimise the aerodynamic negative effect while minimising suspension losses (see write up about this here https://silca.cc/blogs/journal) without affecting rolling resistance too much. I plan experiment a bit with the back wheel pressure, but expect I cannot reduce it enough to make a difference. Same with the 23c conti gp 4000s II front tire. Running that at 80 psi right now. For reference My bike n rider system, fully kitted with two water bottles, saddle bag, computer and me in cycling clothes totals 80kg or 176lbs. Roads here in SW FL are usually very smooth, with a very fine aggregate. Not that much chipseal.

Hope folks find this useful


Thank you very much for the information. This will be helpful for sure. I've also added your picture you sent in email to the forum.

Enjoy riding your new wheels! Your bike looks amazing.

Image
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest