Possible build, will it fit?

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby PsychoMike » January 27th, 2017, 11:43 am

Ok....one more idea popped into my head....new Flo60 carbon clinchers in the mix instead of the Flo30s. Latest variation: Hope RS4 Hubs, CX-Rays, 14 mm nips, washers and Flo60cc's.

I'll be using Vittoria Corsa 700*25c tires to get less height...the Conti's are tall and that's where I get clearance issues at the bottom of the fork arch. I know I'll give up a little aero with the wider tire, but I'm a clyde, so I like a little more volume.

My only concern is the braking for a clyde who occasionally does mountains (Banff-Jasper or the Foothills near Bragg Creek, AB). Any issues assuming I'm not dragging the brakes on the descents?

Sorry to keep this thread going on and on and on....I'm obsessive about my builds until I order the parts....then I become a monster with a tensiometer and dial calipers :D
PsychoMike
 
Posts: 25
Joined: March 7th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby Chris Thornham » January 28th, 2017, 8:29 pm

PsychoMike wrote:Ok....one more idea popped into my head....new Flo60 carbon clinchers in the mix instead of the Flo30s. Latest variation: Hope RS4 Hubs, CX-Rays, 14 mm nips, washers and Flo60cc's.

I'll be using Vittoria Corsa 700*25c tires to get less height...the Conti's are tall and that's where I get clearance issues at the bottom of the fork arch. I know I'll give up a little aero with the wider tire, but I'm a clyde, so I like a little more volume.

My only concern is the braking for a clyde who occasionally does mountains (Banff-Jasper or the Foothills near Bragg Creek, AB). Any issues assuming I'm not dragging the brakes on the descents?

We haven't had any brake track issues to date. Just make sure you use our pads, keep the brake pads below our installation line, and keep your brake pads clean and free of any obvious debris.

Sorry to keep this thread going on and on and on....I'm obsessive about my builds until I order the parts....then I become a monster with a tensiometer and dial calipers :D

No problem at all. Happy to help you build the right set of wheels for you


Take care,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby PsychoMike » February 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

Ok...one more one last question :) I'm really close to ordering parts, honest!

For the front, I'm contemplating either a 24h radial (the hubs come in 24h and are rated for heads-out radial, but this number of holes is less common) or a 28h 2x set-up (which is readily available). I know the radial will likely be more aero (fewer spokes, all in the same plane for each side), but the 2x set-up might be more forgiving.

Either should work just fine for my size, but thought I would ask if there is a preference based on what you, as the guys who designed them, know of the Flo60CC (preferred) and Flo30 (Plan B) rims.
PsychoMike
 
Posts: 25
Joined: March 7th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby Chris Thornham » February 23rd, 2017, 6:13 pm

PsychoMike wrote:Ok...one more one last question :) I'm really close to ordering parts, honest!

For the front, I'm contemplating either a 24h radial (the hubs come in 24h and are rated for heads-out radial, but this number of holes is less common) or a 28h 2x set-up (which is readily available). I know the radial will likely be more aero (fewer spokes, all in the same plane for each side), but the 2x set-up might be more forgiving.

Either should work just fine for my size, but thought I would ask if there is a preference based on what you, as the guys who designed them, know of the Flo60CC (preferred) and Flo30 (Plan B) rims.


If properly built either option will work very well. I'm not sure of your personal size or riding style, but this is something you should discuss with your wheel builder. Talk with them about all of these details and have them help you determine what build would be best for you. It's hard to give you exact advice if I am not personally building the wheel. Each wheel builder has their own style.

As far as our rims go, again both will work great.

I hope that helps,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby PsychoMike » February 24th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Hi Chris,

My builder is comfortable doing either and figures both will do fine for my size and riding style...one will be a bit more forgiving but slightly less aero (and fractionally heavier with extra spokes and spoke length) while the other will be a little more harsh / stiff and more aero. I promised I'd ask (hence the question) to see if there were any issues or preferences on the design side.

Cheers,

Mike
PsychoMike
 
Posts: 25
Joined: March 7th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby Chris Thornham » February 25th, 2017, 4:57 pm

PsychoMike wrote:Hi Chris,

My builder is comfortable doing either and figures both will do fine for my size and riding style...one will be a bit more forgiving but slightly less aero (and fractionally heavier with extra spokes and spoke length) while the other will be a little more harsh / stiff and more aero. I promised I'd ask (hence the question) to see if there were any issues or preferences on the design side.

Cheers,

Mike


As long as your builder is within our recommended tension ranges, you'll be fine with either build. I'd also strongly suggest Sapim's Oval washers with Sapim spokes. But if the builder has another spoke/washer combo he likes, that will be fine too. Just stay withing the tension ranges for the rims.

XII. Recommended Spoke Tensions

2012 AND 2016 Model Aluminum + Carbon Wheels, and FLO 30

Front Wheels
90-110 kg-f

Rear Wheels
Drive Side: 90-110 kgf
Non Drive Side: 50-90 kgf



2016 Model Carbon Clincher Wheels

Front Wheels
90-120 kg-f

Rear Wheels
Drive Side: 100-130 kgf
Non Drive Side: Min: 30 kgf / Max: 130 kgf

Recommended Tools
Sapim Hexagonal Nipple Key
Sapim CX/CX-Ray Key

See http://www.sapim.be for details about the tools listed above.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Possible build, will it fit?

Postby SteveM » July 4th, 2017, 11:31 pm

PsychoMike wrote:Hey Jon and Chris,

I know, I know: I keep dropping notes and picking your brains about possibilities for my ride, but haven't pulled the trigger...yet. I have one more questions for you though...an opinion about a build and whether you think it'll fit my ride:

Planned set-up: Flo 30 rims (24/28), Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Onyx Racing products hubs (dual Sprag rear, standard road front), Schwalbe One or Conti 4000sII 25mm tires. The bike is a 2012 Cervelo S2 running full Campy Chorus.

I don't think I'll have any brake clearance issues (clearance has been good with the tires to date on some run of the mill Campy Zondas I've been using as general purpose wheels)...but I know there isn't much room at the top of the fork arch for playing with road debris when the Conti's are fitted.

Do you think this set-up will give me any grief for clearance on my frame / fork?

Thanks,

Mike


very late to answer this, however for the benefit of anyone checking, current gen Flo 60 fits fine on a 2015/16/17 Cervelo S2 however you won't get anything bigger than about 26mm tyre on there. For day to day running I use Maxxis Refuse 25 and that fits OK. I tried a 28mm and no chance - doesn't get through the BB area of the chainstays.

Steve
SteveM
 
Posts: 8
Joined: May 27th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest