Recomended Tubes and Tires

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby AlathIN » December 21st, 2016, 12:27 am

Chris Thornham wrote:We did post the results, you might find them interesting. They can be found here: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2016/06/flo-cycling-a2-wind-tunnel-tire-study.html


Very pleased to find out that my preference is in agreement with the data!
How often do you get comfort/ride quality PLUS performance in the same choice?

Unanswerable without testing, but I'd wager one would not get this win-win effect on other manufacturers' narrower rims.
AlathIN
 
Posts: 11
Joined: November 9th, 2016, 7:51 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » December 21st, 2016, 9:31 am

AlathIN wrote:
Chris Thornham wrote:We did post the results, you might find them interesting. They can be found here: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2016/06/flo-cycling-a2-wind-tunnel-tire-study.html


Very pleased to find out that my preference is in agreement with the data!
How often do you get comfort/ride quality PLUS performance in the same choice?

Unanswerable without testing, but I'd wager one would not get this win-win effect on other manufacturers' narrower rims.


It is great news isn't it! Glad you're able to have your cake, and eat it too.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Davetdf » March 23rd, 2017, 10:40 am

Chris - if the frameset clearance is not an issue, is there any reason you would NOT recommend 28mm tires on a set of FLO CC's? I have a 45/60 combo running 23mm but am looking to buy a new frame and keep my wheels, but would love to ride 28's on them. I'm not as concerned about aero as much as reliability and comfort.
Davetdf
 
Posts: 2
Joined: November 27th, 2016, 10:11 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » March 23rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Davetdf wrote:Chris - if the frameset clearance is not an issue, is there any reason you would NOT recommend 28mm tires on a set of FLO CC's? I have a 45/60 combo running 23mm but am looking to buy a new frame and keep my wheels, but would love to ride 28's on them. I'm not as concerned about aero as much as reliability and comfort.


David P,

You can certainly use the 28mm tires on our CC wheels if you have no frame interference. They will definitely help with comfort.

Have a great day,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby mrsparkle » March 30th, 2017, 10:36 am

The blog post on tire selection is very interesting. I'm curious what the recommended tubeless tires would be.
mrsparkle
 
Posts: 5
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » March 30th, 2017, 11:27 pm

mrsparkle wrote:The blog post on tire selection is very interesting. I'm curious what the recommended tubeless tires would be.


There are several tubeless tires in our test. Did you see those?
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby mrsparkle » April 1st, 2017, 6:47 pm

Which?

Continental doesn't make road tubeless.
Specialized turbo cotton - not tubeless.
Zipp tangente - not tubeless.
Specialized s-works turbo - comes in regular and tubeless.
Bontrager R4 - several different models, unclear.
Schwalbe One - comes in regular and tubeless.
Hutchinson Atom - comes in different models, unclear.
Felt TTR1 - not tubeless

Plus 3 tires without CRR data.

Furthermore, it's not clear whether any of those tires were setup tubeless for the Crr portion of the test. If you can't be bothered to answer a very simple question from a potential customer, maybe you should hire someone to do it for you.
mrsparkle
 
Posts: 5
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » April 3rd, 2017, 10:47 am

mrsparkle wrote:Which?

Continental doesn't make road tubeless.
Specialized turbo cotton - not tubeless.
Zipp tangente - not tubeless.
Specialized s-works turbo - comes in regular and tubeless.
Bontrager R4 - several different models, unclear.
Schwalbe One - comes in regular and tubeless.
Hutchinson Atom - comes in different models, unclear.
Felt TTR1 - not tubeless

Plus 3 tires without CRR data.

Furthermore, it's not clear whether any of those tires were setup tubeless for the Crr portion of the test. If you can't be bothered to answer a very simple question from a potential customer, maybe you should hire someone to do it for you.


I replied to your post in less than an hour asking you a clarifying question. Additionally, you have asked other questions on this forum that I have responded to with answers. In what way have I displayed that I can't be bothered to answer your questions? I have engaged with you every time you have asked a question. What expectation do you have that I'm not meeting?

To address your points above.

Your comment: "Furthermore, it's not clear whether any of those tires were setup tubeless for the Crr portion of the test."

My Response: There is a note on the Combined Aero Drag and Rolling Resistance Study chart referenced in the article that states the following. "Rolling resistance numbers were measured on a Mavic Open Pro wheel at 120 psi with Vittoria or Challenge latex inner tubes."

With respect to which tires were tubeless, that would be the Schwalbe One, and the Hutchison Atom.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 584
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby SliceRS » April 6th, 2017, 9:07 am

I'm curious if your recommendation on tire size 23 vs 25 has changed in light of the study:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2016/06/ ... study.html
SliceRS
 
Posts: 1
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 9:45 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Burnnerman » April 7th, 2017, 11:20 am

For tubeless tires.

I have been using the new Bontrager R3 Tubless tires (Model 508443) the size I am using is 700x26c they also make a 700x24c.

They worked great all last year, and I plan on using them this year also.
Burnnerman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 6th, 2017, 12:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest