Recomended Tubes and Tires

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » April 23rd, 2015, 10:56 pm

jp4798 wrote:For a Flo 60/90 combo with 25mm GPS400 IIs, what size tube do you recommend? What valve length if using the included Silca valve extenders?

Thanks


I can confirm that both Silca extenders work best with a 48mm tube. For the tubes sized, make sure the tube you buy works with a 700c x 25 tire. The box should say. Here's an example http://www.jensonusa.com/!CEC5L0tFyytSq ... fgodQj0A-w

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 576
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby jp4798 » April 24th, 2015, 7:31 am

Thank you very much. Very excited for the new wheels to arrive.
jp4798
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 10:23 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby CPJ » April 29th, 2015, 12:52 pm

Chris,

I am looking to use S-works Turbo (not cotton) 700x24 with XXXlite latex tubes on a set of Flo 60's with the Silca extender. Rider weight is 110 lbs. "A" race is a moderately hilly 70.3. What pressure do you recommend for this set up? The chart appears to suggest ~80 psi but it seems awfully low.
CPJ
 
Posts: 1
Joined: April 28th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » April 30th, 2015, 7:00 am

CPJ wrote:Chris,

I am looking to use S-works Turbo (not cotton) 700x24 with XXXlite latex tubes on a set of Flo 60's with the Silca extender. Rider weight is 110 lbs. "A" race is a moderately hilly 70.3. What pressure do you recommend for this set up? The chart appears to suggest ~80 psi but it seems awfully low.


I'd recommend the 80psi. It does seem low but remember that wider wheels don't need the same pressure that older 19mm wheels needed. I'm not sure if you've seen these articles, but they help explain a few more things.

Why Do You Use Less Tire Pressure for a Bigger Tire or Wider Wheel?
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/11/ ... -tire.html

Tire Pressure
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/09/ ... ssure.html
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 576
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Meathead » May 8th, 2015, 11:38 am

Chris Thornham wrote:
Meathead wrote:Chris...are you saying that a Blue Triad EX should use a 700x22mm tire instead of a 700x23?

Earlier models had a very narrow chain stay where the tire ran. Wider tires (23mm) can have the tendency to rub the frame. In the case where I saw a 23mm tire rub, a 22mm tire worked. That said not all 23mm tires are the same and some could work. It really depends on the frame you have. You could try a couple options and see if they worked before settling on your tire. I'm sure your local bike shop wouldn't mind helping you figure that out if you are buying the tire from them.


Just following up to close the loop on this. I had a set of Michelin Pro 4 Service Course 700x23mm tires mounted on my 60/90 set & put on my Blue Triad EX. They fit perfectly. No tight fit & no rubbing at all.
Meathead
 
Posts: 10
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:17 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » May 10th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Meathead wrote:
Chris Thornham wrote:
Meathead wrote:Chris...are you saying that a Blue Triad EX should use a 700x22mm tire instead of a 700x23?

Earlier models had a very narrow chain stay where the tire ran. Wider tires (23mm) can have the tendency to rub the frame. In the case where I saw a 23mm tire rub, a 22mm tire worked. That said not all 23mm tires are the same and some could work. It really depends on the frame you have. You could try a couple options and see if they worked before settling on your tire. I'm sure your local bike shop wouldn't mind helping you figure that out if you are buying the tire from them.


Just following up to close the loop on this. I had a set of Michelin Pro 4 Service Course 700x23mm tires mounted on my 60/90 set & put on my Blue Triad EX. They fit perfectly. No tight fit & no rubbing at all.


Awesome! Thanks for following up with that. Can I ask again what year your frame is?
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 576
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Meathead » May 10th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Chris Thornham wrote:
Meathead wrote:
Chris Thornham wrote:Earlier models had a very narrow chain stay where the tire ran. Wider tires (23mm) can have the tendency to rub the frame. In the case where I saw a 23mm tire rub, a 22mm tire worked. That said not all 23mm tires are the same and some could work. It really depends on the frame you have. You could try a couple options and see if they worked before settling on your tire. I'm sure your local bike shop wouldn't mind helping you figure that out if you are buying the tire from them.


Just following up to close the loop on this. I had a set of Michelin Pro 4 Service Course 700x23mm tires mounted on my 60/90 set & put on my Blue Triad EX. They fit perfectly. No tight fit & no rubbing at all.


Awesome! Thanks for following up with that. Can I ask again what year your frame is?


2015
Meathead
 
Posts: 10
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:17 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » May 22nd, 2015, 8:24 am

Thanks!
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 576
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Nvesguerra » August 1st, 2015, 1:55 pm

hi i currently use 25mm conti gp 4000s tyres Due to my weight 240lbs (and going down). I really want to get the 60/90 combo but your wheelset recommends 23mm tyres. Can i get away using 25s?

Another question i have is im planning on getting the 90 on the back (non clysdale) since im constantly training i will eventually drop down to the acceptable weight limit do you think i can get away by just getting the non clysdale version. I should be able to drop my weight to 220 by dec. Really dont want anymore extra weight on my bike..
Thanks!
Nvesguerra
 
Posts: 1
Joined: August 1st, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: Recomended Tubes and Tires

Postby Chris Thornham » August 2nd, 2015, 5:45 am

Nvesguerra wrote:hi i currently use 25mm conti gp 4000s tyres Due to my weight 240lbs (and going down). I really want to get the 60/90 combo but your wheelset recommends 23mm tyres. Can i get away using 25s?

Another question i have is im planning on getting the 90 on the back (non clysdale) since im constantly training i will eventually drop down to the acceptable weight limit do you think i can get away by just getting the non clysdale version. I should be able to drop my weight to 220 by dec. Really dont want anymore extra weight on my bike..
Thanks!


Our standard build wheels have a maximum weight limit of 198lbs. So even at 220lbs you will be 22lbs over the weight limit. You cannot ride our standard build wheels until you are under the 198lbs.

On another note our max weight limit for the clydesdale build wheel is 242lbs. If you go over the 242lbs mark then we do not recommend riding the wheels until you are under the limit again. BUT... you said you are going down so that shouldn't be a problem. The weight difference if VERY small and you'll get a much stronger wheel by getting a clydesdale. In the end, you'll likely be faster with the clydesdale wheel.

Regarding tire size, you can definitely put the 25mm on our wheels. They work well. Just make sure the tires fit in the frame.
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin
 
Posts: 576
Joined: March 2nd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests