Ease of spoke repair on Flo Disc wheel?

FLO Product Support, FAQ, Cycling, Triathlon, Etc.

Ease of spoke repair on Flo Disc wheel?

Postby ChrisW » November 20th, 2015, 5:33 pm

I'm interested in getting a rear disc wheel. I'll either use a Flo 30 rim (I have an extra 28-spoke in stock), build a wheel myself, and then get a cover from Wheelbuilder or RalTech, or I'll buy a complete Flo Disc wheel. The Flo Disc looks like the more professional option, so I'd prefer to go with that.

However, I like to be able to service my wheels, and I do ultra-distance, self-supported races (4000 km in 2 weeks) in which I'm used to taking spare spokes with me for the just-in-case scenarios. I'm therefore wondering about the Flo Disc and how easy it would be to remove the spoke cover to change a spoke? I know that it's extremely unlikely (and I'd order the Clydesdale version with more spokes because I know that the tiny difference in weight will cause no disadvantages), but I'd still like to know how difficult it might be if something did happen.
ChrisW

Re: Ease of spoke repair on Flo Disc wheel?

Postby Donald Gillmore » March 9th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Hi there Chris,

I'm going to take a stab at your question. This is my first time on the Forum, so please excuse me for being so late in addressing your question.

The new FLO discs, available starting April 2016, expose the spoke/hub interface for user serviceability. Spokes can be replaced by the user.
I have the previous generation FLO disc but have not ridden with it yet. I do not expect it to ever need a spoke replaced unless it takes a serious hit, in which case the cover will probably be damaged anyway.

I have long term experience with wheels that are similar to the FLO Disc in construction. These would be the first generation HED Jet 90 clincher. This is a wheel with a carbon fairing bonded to an aluminum rim, much like the aluminum-hybrid FLO models. After 10 years they are as true as the day I got them, and I've crashed hard in a crit while using them. They have been used on very bumpy roads and in TTs with over 120psi and narrow tires, providing little shock absorption. These Jet 90s were the standard build, so they have fewer spokes than a Clydesdale and they have held up very well.

The FLo wheels are built well, with nice tight even spoke tension. My recommendation would be the Clydesdale version of the FLO Disc for maximum toughness and longevity.

Donald
Donald Gillmore

Re: Ease of spoke repair on Flo Disc wheel?

Postby Chris Thornham » March 11th, 2016, 11:36 pm

ChrisW wrote:I'm interested in getting a rear disc wheel. I'll either use a Flo 30 rim (I have an extra 28-spoke in stock), build a wheel myself, and then get a cover from Wheelbuilder or RalTech, or I'll buy a complete Flo Disc wheel. The Flo Disc looks like the more professional option, so I'd prefer to go with that.

However, I like to be able to service my wheels, and I do ultra-distance, self-supported races (4000 km in 2 weeks) in which I'm used to taking spare spokes with me for the just-in-case scenarios. I'm therefore wondering about the Flo Disc and how easy it would be to remove the spoke cover to change a spoke? I know that it's extremely unlikely (and I'd order the Clydesdale version with more spokes because I know that the tiny difference in weight will cause no disadvantages), but I'd still like to know how difficult it might be if something did happen.

I'm very sorry. I have no idea how I missed this post. Long story short, our old FLO DISCs were nearly impossible to replace a spoke in. Our new model FLO DISCs coming out next month, are fully serviceable and have a special access port in the hub that allows you to replace spokes should they break.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Take care,
Chris Thornham
FLO Cycling: http://www.flocycling.com
FLO Blog: http://bit.ly/b3Zlpq | Twitter: http://bit.ly/bOQ08x | Facebook: http://bit.ly/d8KDhI
Chris Thornham
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion